BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, March 10, 2006

Boys Rule, Girls Drool

Last week, I talked with our group about the role of women in ministry, and it was pretty interesting. I got out without any blood being shed or my family being hurt, so that was good. This is sometimes a very unfriendly issue among some churches, and I just want to be clear that my position is the very historical one of complementarian (although, it has only been named this in recent years). My more chauvinistic (as well as elementary) friends might be more inclined to label this as the position where “Boys rule and girls drool.” Seriously, after I talked about my perspective of women in ministry, as well as the family, we did a Q and A session in which some good questions were asked. Although I answered those questions during that time, I would like to expand just a little to some of those specific thoughts.

Do you believe women can be deacons?
Answer: Yes, I believe women can and should be deacons. However, I do not believe that they should be deacons if a deacon is to be understood as a ruler or part of a decision-making body, such as is the case in a lot of Baptist churches today.
Expansion: Deaconesses are arguably referred to in 1Timothy 3:11, where it says, “In the same way, their wives…” When you look the term up for “their wives,” you find 2 interesting facts: (1) There is no “their” and (2) there is no “wives.” The actual Greek word for this is “the women.” If that is the case, then it seems that this is an effort by Paul to allow for women to be deacons. It has been objected by Wayne Grudem that it doesn’t make sense for Paul “to sandwich only one verse about women deacons in the middle of five verses (three preceding and two following) about men who are deacons.” Let me just say that it would make sense if Paul wanted to make a special point that women could be deacons. I would also add that this is the only passage in the entire Bible that gives us any hint about deacons, and it does not mention one thing they are supposed to do. That seems a little odd also, but we still hold that deacons should do something. I would also add that Phoebe is called literally a deaconess of the church in Cenchrea in Romans 16:1. The term “deaconess” or “deacon” means literally “servant” and can be used as such, but it doesn’t make sense to refer to her in such a formal way that it connects her to the church of Cenchrea, if she is just a Christian who serves. It seems more likely that she did hold the specific office of a deaconess in that church.

Can women serve as worship leaders or children’s ministers?
Answer:
Yes, women can serve in these positions as long as you define what exactly their role is in relation to a pastor. If they are not ruling or teaching (in a public way), then there is nothing that prevents them from serving in that capacity, except maybe our sinful, male chauvinism.
Expansion: Women should be encouraged to seek ministry in any role possible. All believing women (as I talked about) are called to ministry. Paul assumed that women would be involved in public praying and speaking prophecy in the Church of Corinth, and he assumed that they would be involved in active learning within the Ephesian congregation, as well. I am also not opposed to women teaching men in private settings. The position of those who are against this is incredulous. Priscilla, of course, taught Apollos when he was a young preacher. Although her husband helped, it is probable that she was the more prominent teacher among them, since she is mentioned first. It is also very practical to assume that mothers and older ladies should be teaching not only their sons, but the younger men. If the extreme position is taken, however, at what age do they become men and do the mothers and older women stop teaching them? And what about the Beth Moore’s who have obviously helped so many with their teaching? Is it not also true that women missionaries have had to teach men who did not know the Scriptures, even after they were converted? What are they supposed to say, “Oh no, I can’t teach you the Bible, because you’re a man. Yeah, I know I am the only one who knows anything about this stuff, but you see, my preachers back home in America think that I should submit to males in every situation, regardless of how impractical that may seem. I guess you can just wait for a male missionary to come over here.” Gimme a break!

What about women working outside the home, as well as ruling over men in the work place?
Answer:
I think that it is okay for women to work outside of the home, as long as it does not take away from her responsibility to cook for her husband (ha!ha! couldn’t resist). Seriously, I think her primary goal should be to be a “keeper of the home,” but working outside the home (especially as the kids get older and go to school) should not be ruled out. If women work outside the home, then they will probably in some cases get promoted and rule over men, and there is nothing wrong biblically with that.
Expansion: Very briefly, Deborah was a judge who ruled over Israel, and by all accounts did a great job. Once again, the issue is not ruling over men at all. A woman should always conduct herself in the virtuous stance of being a female image-bearer, as opposed to the equally valuable stance of being a hairy, image bearer. A woman should voluntarily submit to her husband’s headship in the same way that a member of the church voluntarily submits to Christ, and like Christ voluntarily submits to the Father. It is not a question of value, but roles. The role in the family is fixed; the role in the church is fixed; the role outside of those two areas should still reflect the womanhood of the female, but is not to be rigidly administered in the same sense as the other two, because of the Scriptures’ silence and the culture’s practical demands.

In terms of unity, how important is this issue?
Answer:
This is not worth fighting over among the universal body of Christ. Moreover, I have fellowship regularly with those who do not agree with me on this. I am not going to slash their tires or throw a stink bomb at their house. However, I do think it is important for people to talk about and understand. If God has a design for something (as I obviously believe he does with respect to this), then I think it is important and beneficial for us to follow that design.
Expansion: None.

Let me just say that I love women. In fact, I am married to one, and have two others who are training to be women also. They are treasures. I can only imagine how Adam felt the first time he saw his “helper,” Eve. Eve completed him just like all wives are designed to complete their husbands. And women are the backbone of any church. And, did I say that I love women? Well, hope these thoughts make you flesh out your own beliefs and convictions about women in ministry. Until next time…

0 comments: