BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, March 06, 2006

A Blog About the Journey

Well, just thought I would post some thoughts about what I feel is going on in my life. I have been personally consumed the past few weeks, trying to flesh out some of my thoughts about the emerging church movement, and have basically come to the conclusion that I agree with all of the major core values of this, and believe God would be most glorified in our implementing this strategy in my family’s life, as well as our church. I have also learned that there are a lot of different people within this movement that represent a lot of different ideas about theology, church life, and culture. Because of that, I have learned not to wave the banner of “I’m an emerging church guy,” since in some circles that would be as appropriate as a ruffian in a long, trench coat yelling to everyone in a crowded bank, “Can I have your attention, please?!”

On this journey, I have also been learning more about my kids and their needs. They obviously need Christ more than anything. But, I am seeking to understand how to convey the value of Christ to them in an attractive way. Being authentic is really fun to talk about with respect to church, but it is really difficult to do at home. It means being comfortable enough with your faith that you don’t feel a burden to explain everything. It also means that you need to be transparent with them in admitting that you are or were wrong about some things. From the masculinity of my family roots, I have learned how graciously to slay someone in the name of Jesus Christ. I would venture to say many of us take joy in getting the upper hand in an argument, or in arrogating our own position. But sometimes, we need to mirror the humility of Christ and empty ourselves for the benefit of those who observe us, especially our (my) kids.

I am also experiencing more of the futility of this life. As we plan for trips this year, and buy stuff, and eat out, and watch movies and our favorite t.v. show, and do fun stuff, I can never help but think that these things are so fleeting. They bring us to realize our own emptiness. And while they are to be enjoyed and used for the glory of God, when they stand on their own outside of that circle of purpose, they leave us feeling thirsty, like the after taste of a glass of coke. I am just reminded of how important a personal relationship with Christ is. I am also reminded that if this relationship stays personal, and does not overflow, then that, too, is tainted with ultimate futility.

Moreover, I am thankful for the experience of our worship gathering. When I first typed this, I had the words “at church” following the words worship gathering, but I deleted them to make the point that the church is not a building, but a people. Our people have been on a journey the last eighteen months, and we are a work in progress, but God continues to give us sweet times together as we seek to experience Him. We are doing some outward things to improve our ability to connect with people, but the most important thing is that we are learning that we must change, and allow more room for engaging our culture and building relationships.

Finally, I am thankful for the opportunity to do what I am doing. With all of the conflicts, uphill battles, and personal struggles that I have to measure up, I love being a pastor. It is my heart’s desire, and I can’t think of anything I would rather do (except maybe walk up to people in traffic and wash their windows). It has truly been an incredible journey, one which is just beginning, I hope. Thank all of you who have allowed me to be where I am doing what I love to do. Thank all of you who endure this boring blog just because you like me or want to send me props. I know I pale in comparison to the profile of a pastor and his biblical requirements, but I thank God for His forgiveness, grace, mercy, and love, because without Him I would truly be nothing. For now, talk at ya later.

0 comments: