BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Being Real in Life

As some of you may know, I have been talking a lot lately about authentic relationships. About being real in life. When I mention these things, however, I am not just saying these things in the context of a church setting. I am talking about life. Genuineness should permeate every part and parcel of our life. For too long has the modern church delineated between the secular and the sacred. Every part of our life should be sacred. That is part of the problem of why so many people have abandoned the church, because their real life looks nothing like the church. But that is no slam on the unchurched people; our real life doesn't resemble our church setting either. But where do we take this? Am I saying that our church should resemble every part of real life? If that means members of the church hanging out in each other's homes, sharing struggles with one another, eating together, encouraging one another, and talking about Scriptures, then yes, that is what I mean! If it means that we should tear down every ritual or tradition that is not present in real life, then no, that is not what I mean. Nevertheless, there are some things that the church does that perhaps needs to be looked at. Not for the sake of novelty. But for the sake of relevance and freshness. I openly confess that I do not have all of this figured out, but I am enjoying the journey. That is because I know that it will only take me deeper into the world of effectiveness for the cause of Christ. I want to be effective in my ministry for Christ, so I must always be asking myself if I am authentic in my relationship with God. If that is the case, then I am not afraid to ask if I am authentic in my relationships with others also.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this entry, Jason...very relevant and your thoughts on this topic mirror my own. Maybe churches would attract more people if some of the 'pomp and circumstance' and phoniness were replaced with 'real' people who have a genuine concern for others. Of course, like you, I don't have it all figured out...but it is a journey, isn't it?