BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, September 11, 2006

My Repentance of Cessationism

From the time I was a bundle of something to my most recent history, I have shared the perspectives of what is known as cessationism. Cessationism is a fancy word that basically means that all of the gifts of the Holy Spirit have continued since the days of Jesus and the Apostles, except all of the gifts that are miraculous. That would include such gifts mentioned in the Bible such as prophecy, speaking in tongues (or languages), interpreting tongues, distinguishing between spirits, and healing. Now, for most of us rational and logical Christian thinkers, this is obviously an easy choice. We, much like our Enlightenment Age fathers, deny anything that smacks of the supernatural. Isn’t that so odd coming from the same crowd that defends the bible against “liberals” who try to explain away the miracles of Jesus and the crossing of the Red Sea and the Jordan as merely the rivers drying up?

But my cessationist friends are sure to cry foul and say that we have to have balance in all our perspectives of Scripture (which is about as sensible as going on a diet that cuts out super-sized cheeseburgers, but in its place adds a slice of chocolate cake). The truth is consistency has been raped in their attempt to eliminate the supernatural from the Christian experience. But, to be fair, my friends will deny that this is so, and will argue that they are in favor of many truths that are all supernatural- things such as being saved by the Holy Spirit, being controlled by the Holy Spirit, and even being healed by the Holy Spirit. In fact, many cessationists who deny that the miraculous gifts still exist, still hold to a very “subjective” experience in their Christian faith. They will still give stories about how God speaks to them and reveals to them certain insights and information into a situation that would have been otherwise unknown. Despite their protest that this is not the same thing as a biblical prophecy, their retelling of the story often contradicts their theology.

Let me rewind for just a moment, though, to my thoughts and feelings and perspectives. Growing up, this situation never really struck me as a problem. I knew some Pentecostal or “Charismatic” friends, but when I asked my Baptist leaders what they believed, they would usually say something like “Oh, they believe in speaking in gibberish.” Having been persuaded that that was a ridiculous option, I then satisfied my curiosity by sticking with those who had all the answers. As I got older and came to have a relationship with Jesus Christ, I occasionally listened to clever one-liners or topical sermons against the continuation of miraculous gifts (mainly against speaking in tongues) and anything I heard I would concede was the best argument. The problem for many years, however, was that I had never really heard another argument. I grew up thinking that there was no credibility in believing such absurdities, even while I was attending school.

So, you may ask, what happened? Several things occurred in my life to help me grow towards a rejection of cessationism. (1) The first step towards this rejection surprisingly occurred several years ago when I was a student at a school in Florida, looking for ammunition for my already formulated arguments. I read a book called Charismatic Chaos, by popular bible teacher John MacArthur, which was a work against anything remotely Charismatic, including what is now known as the Third Wave movement started by John Wimber. Although MacArthur’s work was applauded by many, it was the all or nothing tone of the book that gave me my first concerns. I will say something in favor of MacArthur’s book-for the most part, he was consistent, blasting not only the Charismatics but also many Christians who have “subjective” experiences and actually communicate with God (wow, that sounds like something that we might want to try some time). I pondered these things for quite a few years, while even teaching them as truth at times and relishing the cold, emotionless position of MacArthur, but inwardly struggling with the position.

(2) The second step towards my current position was my own exposure to the Scriptures, and to what the Bible actually says about miraculous gifts. In my reading of the Bible, I came to find out that so much of what I had heard was supposed to be was not the case. I struggled with Paul’s long and explicit instructions to the Corinthians about prophecy and tongues, and questioning the relevance of such teaching if it would soon be past.

(3) The third step in my struggle with the cessationist position came in actually interacting with different positions. It was not that I blindly listened or accepted their opinions as fact. In fact, there was much with which I did not agree. But the truth is their arguments drove me back to the Scriptures, and my comparison of the different options led me to a clear rejection of cessationism.

I am now admitting my own mistaken notion that miraculous gifts failed to exist after the time of the Apostles and the writing of the Scriptures. I am confessing my own arrogance in looking down at those who acknowledged the supernatural happenings of God. I am now repenting of my own error in leading others away from a living, supernatural experience of God in their lives. For those who are now reading this, I am repenting of cessationism. During my next blog, I will give several reasons why.

1 comments:

Rich Tatum said...

Interesting post, Jason, and an interesting journey. I was reminded of G.K. Chesterton's account of his journey from atheism to belief: it was the opponents of Christianity and their claims that actually led him to consider Christ. When the arguments are based on straw men and faulty facts, once the veil is peeled away, the truth remains.

Regards,

Rich
BlogRodent