BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Reviving the Rook Bird

I’m sitting here at the computer, having had trouble getting to sleep, because I have this sporadic, hacking cough that becomes violent and makes me feel like an old man dying of tuberculosis (without the blood, though). Anyway, since I haven’t been able to sleep, I have had a few moments to reflect on our community meal this evening at our house. After a long, busy day, getting together with other people doesn’t always top the list of priorities or joys for some, but tonight it was really good, because I had the opportunity to be around some of the greatest people in the entire world, my spiritual family The River!

What made it especially great tonight was a few of us played a game that I haven’t played since Melissa and I were dating: the card game Rook (which, if you're wondering has a black bird card for those who didn't get the title). It took me back to a time and place from a long time ago. It brought back some old memories of where I used to work a ton of hours and not a lot of pay (as you can see, not a lot has changed). But, in reflection the memories were filled with hardship, but also good times, mainly because of good friends like Sam and Samantha Crum. I remember Sam and I sitting in the break room playing the game of Rook with these guys who were not very smart and also not very good at playing cards (please forgive me if you are one of those persons now reading this). It is hard to believe that after all these years (I think about 12 years now) that our families are still friends and we are together as part of the greatest endeavor in the universe, the kingdom of Jesus Christ!

The most awesome thing about this now is that our stories have evolved and expanded and there are so many more awesome people that are a part of our lives now, and that is remarkable in a wonderful way. God is so awesome to have given The Crums to our family more than a decade ago, but is even more awesome to have forged our paths again in this dream called The River! I really am glad that we are here in Florida, not because of the beautiful gulf coast region (although that doesn’t hurt), but because of the beautiful people we have met as a part of The River! We are still getting to know many of you, but Melissa and I are excited about the journey, because you’re on it with us. Thank you for being who you are!

One final note: I said all of this mushy stuff, so that we can get some guys (or girls) to start learning how to play Rook…for the kingdom, of course. Just kidding, but do this anyway.

3 comments:

Sam said...

thanks friend! I remember hearing J the Pipe telling a story at a conference of how much the Kingdom means in his life. The story was about how they played scrabble as a family, and every time he reached into the bag for a letter(s) he would say "for the Kingdom and Christ' glory" hoping it would be a "Q" and/or "Z". He announced he was glad when, for the Kingdom's sake he got those letters and subsequently won! He said he was also glad to lose, which meant his wife winning, and he considered that winning also- if it lead to great sex:).

So, I am glad to play Rook, and love when it is for THE KINGDOM and CHRIST' GLORY!

And I reverberate your exhortation to The Riv community- LEARN TO PLAY ROOK! It's the greatest game ever- That's science! (another anchor quote- I am really jonesing that movie!)

Here's hoping I get the Rook card- For the Kingdom and for Christ' Glory.......

Daniel said...

Oh dear Rook playing friends....You need to slow your roll for one second and give all of us who scored 80 on our Iq test a few months to learn the game. Basically meaning you guys stop all your under or over the table secret codes(touching each others legs) to own all of us new comers. Only if your sercet codes are for the kingdom, then it's fine.

On a lighter note, Jason we are glad you and your family decided to make the journey down here and be a part of this with us. I can't imagine the river without you guys. I'm sure we will have many good Rook nights ahead, full of Eric smiling big when he has the bird, and me bidding way off what I'm supposed to. Til then, I guess college football and Christ our Lord will have to get us by.

Anonymous said...

Hey Broseph,

Sometimes God has to break you down before he can build you up (hmmmmmmmmmmmh! That is soooo good!)

Seriously, I appreciate the kind words, and you are such a big part of why I love The River. My only regret is that I have not followed through on my desire to get to know(not in the Adam and Eve way) you more. We need to, though, and I promise not to allow Sam to touch my leg (or anywhere else!) any more while we are playing Rook.